Breakfast for Dinner

Thursday, January 7, 2010



Yesterday was somewhat of an ugly day being my first day of no caffeine so I desperately needed a relaxing evening!  With nothing set out and not in the mood for grocery shopping I decided on Breakfast for dinner and a movie night!  I found this AMAZING french toast recipe that I had to try!  I made a few adjustments to the recipe.  Instead of milk I used Almond Breeze and added cinnamon and rum extract to the batter.  I also tried another variation that was delicious!  I dipped the bread in coconut milk, stuffed with bananas and fried it in coconut oil...YUM!! I didn't take a picture..why?  Who knows?  I"m not usually a fan of french toast but I had 3 pieces and of course the kids devoured it!  I love that it didn't need to be drowned in syrup but instead I used the juices from the berries, a dash of cinnamon and organic vanilla yogurt, mix together and voila!  A healthy syrup substitute!



I felt in the mood for a casserole so I whipped up what I will call Breakfast Casserole (I know geniusly original right?)  A delicious combination of Sausage, eggs, hash browns, bell pepper, onion, spices and of course cheese!  Here is my own make shift version of the recipe:


Breakfast Casserole :
1 12 oz. Package of Organic Sausage   
4-10 Large Organic Eggs (depending on how many you are feeding)
1/2 Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Package of Organic Hash Browns (Thawed)
1 Teaspoon of Unbleached Flour      
1 Organic Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 of a Yellow Onion, Chopped
Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (as much or little as you prefer)
Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt (to taste)



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook sausage through lightly browning and drain
3. Saute the onion and bell pepper until soft, mix with sausage.
4. Beat together eggs, cream, flour, salt and pepper. (I like to mix in a little cheese after beating)
5. Oil or butter a casserole dish (I used a glass dish about 9 inches in diameter, about 4.5 inches deep)
6. Spread the thawed hash browns into the bottom of the dish, using only half of the entire amount you have chosen to use.  Sprinkle with Garlic Salt
7. Layer the sausage, pepper and onion mix on top of the hash browns. (You can add more Salt & Pepper if you prefer)
8. Spread out the remaining hash browns and sprinkle with garlic salt.
9. Pour egg mixture on top, using a spatula on the sides to make sure that it is evenly distributed throughout the dish. 
9. Top with as much cheese as your heart desires, cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove lid, the center will not be set completely, return to the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 20-30 minutes.  Every oven is different so make sure you watch it.
10.  Let it cool slightly, cut into pie slices and enjoy!!



                                                                                             
                                                             


2 comments:

Kala-loo Soup! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jasmin said...

You should try Agave Nectar as a syrup substitute sometime...yummy! 100% natural and you can buy it organic as well =D

Kala-loo Soup! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino