Caffeine Free Me!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Now that I will no longer be tempted by the irresistable Starbucks White Peppermint Mocha or an Egg Nog Latte I feel that it is once again that time.  Time for what you say?  Time to detox from caffeine!  Yes I know I know...I have done this before...several times!  This is how it usually goes...I go through 2-3 weeks of caffeine withdrawal (headaches, fatigue, moodiness, etc.)  Then I feel triumphant!  I usually replace my morning coffee or latte with a caffeine free substitute like herbal tea, Kombucha or Teeccino, all of which are great for you!  I immediately notice that I am sleeping better, its easier for me to fall asleep and when I wake up I feel rested!  I don't feel that drop in Cortisol that usually hits me around 4:30-5:00 PM (Cortisol is a natural hormone secreted by the adrenal glands).  Long story short...I feel better all around!  So anyway, I will usually continue on this healthy path for about 6 months...and then something always happens, I don't know what it is exactly or why I don't stand up to myself.  Some sort of stupidity takes over despite knowing that it is exactly that...Stupidity!  It usually starts with the smell of freshly brewed espresso as I'm walking through the grocery store or an advertisement for a new latte!  At first I'm strong and I just keep walking, telling myself that I don't REALLY want one and that if I do have one I will then want another one and another.  But then it happens, I have a bad day or night or take on way more than I should have (I've been known to do that)  and that latte that has already been weighing on my mind is now the only thing on my mind!  So that is how it starts up again..at first its just on the weekends or to get me through a big event like my sisters wedding (I lived off of adrenaline and caffeine for several weeks preparing her reception lol) but then it slowly builds into an every day thing...until I am once again addicted!  I wake up in the morning (or not) feeling like I was hit by a bus and that I only slept for 5 minutes...I'm cranky (just a tad) and do not deal with stress the way I should.  I am currently at that point feeling like a slave to my $5.00 per day addiction oh and not to mention I just found out that I have two benign cysts in my left breast!  The treatment is to limit my caffeine intake and increase vitamin E.  So here I am again at the beginning.  I just ordered a Teeccino Sampler pack and stocked up on my favorite Kombucha.  I wonder if this time will be any different than my previous attempts to rid myself of this addiction? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought a bag of the teechino after reading this. It's okay but I looooove my coffee. I'm not ready to end this affair with caffeine, how could something sooo good, be so wrong?!!

Kala-loo Soup! said...

I know..I know..but my affair is over I'm afraid.

Kala-loo Soup! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino